Starting from Max and Sophie ...

Something happened that scattered the branches of Max and Sophie Minden's family. It was partly the war, partly the Shoa, partly the urge to emigrate and its counterweight, the urge to stay in one safe place. As of the time when this blog is beginning, November 2014, many of their descendants live in the United States yet have never met in person; some of us have met those in France, in England, in Israel, in Australia ... and Canada, South America, and who knows where else we are. This is a space for sharing who we are and what we know about our past, as well as our present and future as a Global Family.

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Dr. Henry Minden, Lawyer (Generation 1)

I am still trying to pull together the experiences of my childhood with the information I'm learning now. Dr. Henry Minden (Generation 1), a lawyer, was a brother of my grandfather Ernest Minden; I see from his great-grandson David Roth's article (see previous post) that he lived for decades in Golders Green, London. I'm adding here a notice from the February 1972 issue of AJR Information, published by the Association of Jewish Refugees in Great Britain. It acknowledges Dr Minden's death in December 1971.

I met Dr Henry Minden and his wife Anna once when I was a child -- a meal was provided for their visit at the home of yet another Henry (Henri) Minden, this one living in Great Neck on Long Island, New York. I'm guessing it was around 1964. I also visited my grandmother Lena's home in England in 1959 and 1967 (after her divorce from Ernest Minden), and I believe that too was in Golders Green. I don't think I met Henry and Anna during those visits; probably the varied styles of Jewish life did not encourage such a visit at that time. But I met Lotte Gore there, I'm sure -- when I figure out how she connects to all this, I'll annotate this mention. UPDATE: Lena's home was at 56, Clifton Gardens, London NW 11.


Onward!

2 comments:

  1. Delightful to understand more to tie in with faint memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://wiener.soutron.net/Portal/Default/en-GB/recordview/index/110710#

    ReplyDelete